Saturday, November 16, 2013

Vicki Davis: A Woman of Many Talents

Vicki Davis, A teacher, Blogger, Radio Host, Author, Technological Innovator, Wife, Mother, Volunteer, Speaker, Award-Winning, self-proclaimed "Country Girl," and human being.  (Where I found out all these adjectives). She is also the Edublogger who I made two comments to recently. The reason why I picked her is because she is one of the high school teachers who leads a classroom of students in AIC, a simulation course run by U of M graduate students like myself (Read more about AIC here). I work with about 15 of her students, who do some of the best work of all of the students in my simulation. As a class, we skyped Vicki a couple weeks ago to hear more about how she runs her classroom in relation to AIC. She was so enthusiastic and friendly, I was delighted to find out she also blogs regularly!

The first blog post I commented on is titled "The Right Tough and F’s in school: are we failing kids?" She wrote about how many teachers brag about failing students, and questioned if it was something to really brag about. She discusses what failure in classrooms really means, and what is doesn't mean - i.e. failing to be an A+ human being. I really identified with this post. I told her that I completely agree with the point she makes - that an F is a bullseye to give a student more attention. I stated that I truly believe we should devote our time and energy to not only changing struggling students' grades, but also their perception of themselves! She also write about how students put up walls that stop them from achieving in school. I elaborated on her idea by sharing that there are so many kinds of walls. It is so hard to get in touch with every single student and help them make little doors in their walls to let certain people through, but we continue to try. Once the breakthrough is made - success happens!


The most important part of her post, for me, was when she wrote about the support of administration and how important that is. A segment of my comment to her is below: 



"You say that you are lucky your administration has always supported you in failing students when they earn the F, and the idea that some administrations don't makes me sick! I was just talking to my mentor teacher today who stated that she would get questioned, and reprimanded for not reaching her "goal" if she failed a student whose parent pulled them out of the school, but didn't "officially" disenroll the student, so they were being counted as "absent" and their assignments were "missing." She said that F would be looked at just as any other kid who is just skipping school, or coming and not paying attention. I can't imagine that a teacher would be in trouble for things like that. It makes me so sad!"
I ended with a few questions for her: How do you tell the difference between someone who won’t let you help and someone who just takes time? How long do you pursue them in this case? I asked because in my ideal future, I will never stop pursuing a student even if they act like help is the last thing I can give them. However, I know how frustrating and discouraging that must be. 
I love that she writes about things that are applicable to all teachers, regardless of the "content area." As Maria Coolican always says, "You don't teach French, Science, or Math. You teach kids." I can see that shining through in Vicki's blog.

The second post I commented on was one about enjoying the silence of the morning and being alone. This was so important to me because I am so caught up in all of the work I am doing in and outside of school. In undergrad, I often forgot to take time for myself. I have gotten much better at this during grad school (when I have less time to give up, of course), but now I often feel guilty about it. Vicki's post made me realize how important and essential this time is to leading a happy and (mentally) healthy life. 


I haven't heard back from her yet, but part of that is my fault. I didn't realize she moved her site to a new address, and I commented on the Failure post at the old address. I copied on to the same post at her new address so hopefully she will be able to find it and reply. I will comment back on this post when and if she does! 


I have subscribed to her blog in order to see when she updates it, and I plan on checking back on it regularly. She truly is an inspiration and I encourage you to check out her site. Let me know if you find any intriguing posts (how could you not?) and what your thoughts are! 


In case you're interested, her twitter handle is @coolcatteacher :) Have Fun and a Good Holiday Break, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting! I need to check my disqus for my old site - wondering if something is hung up in there. I sure thought I commented on both of them. Thank you for taking the time to reflect on both of these topics and I particularly loved the imagery in your post about the early mornings.

    I also appreciate your comments about my students and will share with them what you've said. It means so much when an outsider recognizes their work and I appreciate Jeff Stanzler's incredible work with AIC - it is an important program and can deeply educate students if they will engage and their teachers will expect excellence.

    I appreciate the time you took to comment and your recommendation and wish you well as you move into this connected world as an educator who reflects on practice and communicates through the wonderful web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful response you wrote to Vicki's post, Leah...she has to feel really good to see her work inspiring something so moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah, I really enjoyed the analogy you made with the making little doors to the walls that students put up in order to find success. I could not agree more. While this is one of the most challenging aspects of being a teacher, finding the keys to pick those locks are some of the most rewarding experiences I have felt in just a few months of teaching. Persistence and patience are key to continuing this effort. I wish this world had more teachers like you and the edublogger about which you wrote. Thanks for sharing your ideas and the interaction you had with an edublogger.

    Evan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know Vicki had a blog! Thanks for finding it for me. I'm slowly building up a list of regular bloggers to read. About the first post, I think administrators make a large difference in the lives of teachers. I also cannot understand why a teacher would not be supported in failing a student who skips and doesn't come to class! That makes absolutely no sense. How can you not fail a student if the student never turns in work, doesn't come to take tests, etc. I can't imagine myself giving a student a grade they did not earn. I would be so hard on myself if I knew the grades were not honest and that I tried all I could to give students extra opportunities. That is a tough position to be in.
    I believe mental and physical health need to be a priority for teachers. As you may know, the teacher turnover rate is extremely high. Teachers get "burnt out." Some of this may be due to administration as I mentioned. I've found myself doing the same as you. I make time for myself to calm down and relax. I in part am overwhelmed by work and I have fallen quite far behind but I don't let that change my mental health. I hope you can do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. While your comments about your first post to Vicki's blog grabbed my attention, I felt compelled to discuss your brief thoughts on your second post. Still being a newlywed ( I guess that knocking on the door of two years in January means I'm still a newlywed, right?), getting to know my wife's family better now that we live in her stomping grounds of Michigan, not to mention Church, MAC courses, and placement, among other things that need attention, including the mundane (such as laundry cleaning, grocery shopping, etc.)--all of it requires balance and sacrifice. Therefore, my wife and I have made Tuesday nights a sort of date night in order to make sure that we maximize some quality time that we can spend together with our busy schedules. Lately, I have been thinking about how all of this will be complicated with expanding our family in the near future. So, I guess that what I am trying to say is that I can appreciate Vicki's advice about (and your response to) taking time for yourself, even if only a little time in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leah,
    Ironic that the post about the importance of silence jumped out at me within the context of a tech class. Vicki is dead on. I think teachers, perhaps more than anyone, need to be vigilant about getting that time for ourselves as we navigate a profession that demands an absurd amount of energy and focus. My rule is that I want to be awake at least two hours before I see my students, and in the classroom at least an hour before they arrive. This allows me to sleep better at night because I know I have that time in the morning to plan. Also, the silence really does allow us to remind ourselves why we're doing the job and can combat much of the noise that comes later in the day.


    ReplyDelete