Friday, November 15, 2013

FaKeBoOk

      In an age where students are excited by, and distracted by, any type of social media, it can seem hard to reach them. Teachers employ many strategies, including bad jokes and "cool" band t-shirts, in order to try and get in touch with their students. Much to their dismay, this doesn't always work. I had a student tell me he didn't like his math teacher because she didn't "GET him." Upon further investigation on that point, he said "She doesn't talk about anything besides the math. She doesn't connect to my life at all. I don't want help from her because she doesn't connect with me." While that made me sad, it also opened my eyes. These teachers, though they are failing, are at least TRYING to connect with their students, which is so important. Luckily, I was presented with an ingenious tool called Fakebook which would not only let teachers attempt to integrate course material with students lives, but help them succeed!
      Small anecdote....Senior year of college I took a French creative writing class. I loved everything about it because it allowed me to use my French in ways that allowed me to be crafty and allowed me to write about things that were interesting to ME! We turned in a writing piece every class period, three times per week, for the entire semester (that's a lot), and I can count on one hand the number of times a certain subject was required. The rest of the time, we wrote about whatever we wanted, as long as we implemented a certain grammatical structure we had just learned. Shoutout to Prof. George Hoffmann for making this class ROCK.
      Anyway, one of our assignments was that we had to make a Facebook page for a person of our choice - book character, celebrity, movie character, etc. They were all shared with the class on the big screen so the pressure was ON. The product of my efforts is below....
   




     You probably can't tell, but I slaved away on this piece of art. I couldn't make it in microsoft word because it was too hard to add all the little graphics. What graphics you see? Oh, well every little "like" thumb, relationship heart, location stamp, calendar date, or picture, was a screenshot taken from the one and only real facebook. I had to copy and paste them into whatever program I used so as you can imagine, formatting was a NIGHTMARE. I ended up doing it in Powerpoint and had to make three different slides because it wouldn't all fit on one. Oh yeah, and that blue and bold type-face? By hand. As you can imagine, I wasn't upset about all this work in the least since I loved the class so much. Additionally, when I finished, I was super excited to have my work and dislike of Taylor Swift's recycle-dating-program projected onto the big screen.
      HOWEVER. What if I didn't like the class this much? What if I didn't care about the teacher or the assignments and I didn't want to put that much effort in? Doing this and coming up with even a decent project would be beyond the scope of things.... Until FAKEBOOK. With fakebook, you can make a facebook account that is more complete and better looking than the one I created myself with less than half the time! I even went ahead and did it for you - go on - It's much better - just click it - Make sure you check out the L-side bar - 
        In total, it took me 20 minutes to create that. Okay, maybe 25. That is nothing compared to how much time I spent on the first one - and it looks better!! 
     Obviously, my reactions to the presentation were many and they were all very excited and very happy. I think this is a fun thing to do which can be incorporated into many disciplines. Personally, I think I will definitely use this with my students in the future. Possibly in the way I learned it, to try out new grammatical structures. I like this idea because I can TAYLOR (Spelled wrong on purpose - get it? get it?) it to my students needs. For instance, first year French students would only write in present tense. Second year could do this switching between present and past tense based on when she posted the update. Third year can switch between the two different types of past tenses which often confuse students to no end. Fourth year and AP can use past, present, and future! It is a great way to assign the same assignment but change it based on skill. Another way to use this would be to document French culture or French history. For instance, Students could make a page for the European Union that goes through the timeline of history of when countries joined, when currency changed etc. Or, Students could make a facebook for a special French holiday - such as bastille day - that dictates what would happen in the preparation of and throughout that day. 
     Even though I had created my "fake" facebook before, I didn't think I would consider it for high school students simply because of the required workload. Now, however, it is much easier and  I will DEFINITELY let my students do this for homework - notice I said "let" not "make" because it really is that much of a treat. 
     Let me know your thoughts! Would you use it? For what discipline? How? What differences did you notice between my first and second fake facebooks? 

2 comments:

  1. Leah I really enjoyed reading your post on Fakebook. I have honestly never heard of it prior to reading this. From what I have gathered about the site I feel like it has great potential to be used in the classroom. I love the example you used exploring how Fakebook could be used for French or any other foreign language. I could see myself using this in my history classroom to engage students in a different and unique way that I think would really grab the students attention. I could have my students create a Fakebook account detailing a great leader, a famous person, or even an event from history. I could see Fakebook being a good summative or formative assessment as well. Thanks Leah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you love Fakebook. Love that you had such a positive experience with it. Being a T.Swift fan, I can't endorse your Fakebook content, but I suppose 2/3 isn't bad ( : When I was creating my presentation on Fakebook, I feel like we got really bogged down by the negative or non-user-friendly aspects of it. However, it's great to hear that you were able to find a practical and educational way to use this tool in your classroom. Also, I feel like when non-WL people try to apply tools to language classrooms, we unfortunately fall a little short. In the case of Fakebook, it seems like it can be even MORE useful when done in another language. woo woo!

    ReplyDelete