Saturday, July 13, 2013

Skype me Healthy

     In Rachel's class we are discussing routines. Routines should be developed for activities that take a long time and happen frequently. When coming up with examples for what type of things should have routines, we addressed student absence as one of those things. Each day, teachers deal with students in each of their classes being absent for various reasons. These reasons range from illness or death in the family to a student taking a personal day for shopping or manicures.
     Whatever the reason, however, the result in the classroom is the same. The student misses the material one day, returns the next, and is expected to carry on with the class in new material. Either the student is filled in by the teacher or a friend, or just goes on without ever learning what was addressed in class. Eventually, this takes a toll on the teacher, the student, and the other students in class. No classroom wants to hear material they covered yesterday a second time, and no teacher wants to teach it a second time (Teaching it to three classes in one day is enough, but doing all that again a second time? No, thanks). However, the student, in many cases, can't move on without learning the material.
     So, what do we do? Eradicate absences! ... Nope, that won't work. The only other things that comes to mind is to create a routine, right? That is the solution. Come up with a way for the teacher, student, and class to adjust to absences in a way that treats all students equally and ensures the absentee learns what they have missed without inhibiting all other's progress forward by taking them on a stroll down memory lane. Does it work? Yes, assuming the routine is beneficial. But what if there was a better solution? What if there was a way to get the student in the classroom without actually being in the classroom?
     Liiiiiiightbuuuuuuulb (Another great piece of technology which is said with the echo of Gru from Despicable Me repeating in my head).  There is a way to accomplish this - Skype! I am proud to say I have been the student on the other side of the computer screen, feeling as though I am part of the class while still enjoying the comfort of my own bed and air conditioner blasting full force on my feverish forehead. While I am not sure how Rory felt when he attempted to hand packets to a face on a computer screen, I can tell you how grateful I was to have this experience. All papers distributed in class were accessible online and I was able to hear the lecture, watch the video, and see the notes written by the teacher while keeping the class healthy and free of strep throat and tonsillitis. In fact, it turned out that I understood the assignment discussed in class better than a few who were actually present!
     While I do think Skype is an extremely helpful way of using technology in the classroom, I realize my blog started to sound startlingly familiar. "Get the education you need while reaping the benefits of learning in your own home! Learn on your own time! Get your degree online from X University." While I am in no way advocating that personal relationships be sacrificed in return for comfort, I see the benefits of this technology. Evidently, however, I also see the dangers. For this reason, I am so excited to start the "Organizing your Online Life" assignment. I can not wait to see how technology programs other than Microsoft word, Refworks, and Powerpoint can help excel and organize my education.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Leah!

    I heard you skyped into class, but until I read this post I didn't think twice about it. I think it is interesting that you point out how many wonderful things technology allowed you to do that sick day, but while still keeping a skeptical (in a good way) eye. As I am finding out, technology has a lot to offer that is really useful and just waiting to be discovered. Before this summer, I had never used iMovie, heard of Xmarks, or even taken notes on my computer and after very little time, I've adapted. It's convenient and I have everything at the tips of my fingers, but it's not everything I ever wanted. I found myself feeling lost until I had written out the assignments in a paper planner, a tangible thing that I could interact with more organically. I too am excited to learn about resources that could really be useful as future teachers, but I need to try to remember how useful old technology can be.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leah,
    Well I must say it was a bit odd to give handouts to a computer screen, but it beat the alternative. Honestly, it wasn't a big deal. Question: What do you think would have been gained/lost had everyone Skyped in?

    The issue of kids missing classes is a huge one. What I find is that the kids who care enough find a way to get the material, but then "getting the material" is not the same as being in class. So while there might be some equity issues here, I can't imagine why I wouldn't allow (or encourage) a student to Skype into class. The paradox though, is that those kids who would take the initiative to Skype in are the same ones who never miss class or, if they do, are conscientious about catching up; in fact they often set up a one-on-one meeting, in which they learn more than they would have had they been in class. How do we address that? Funny how almost all of the questions that come up in education tie back to motivation, which seems to be the thing no one has figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rory- what a question! I think there is a lot to be lost if everyone Skyped in - they might as well all stay home and go to class online if that were to be the case. I think primarily what they are losing is human interaction. Skyping with someone is not the same as actually being with them. You can't just minimize people when you don't feel like looking at them anymore. Additionally, I think this human interaction plays into what is possible on the teacher-student realm. If one is doing math, for instance, the student could push their work up onto the camera and the teacher could look at it but they couldnt physically touch the paper and write on it and make corrections/suggestions. They would have to redraw it on their own copy, and then show the student through the screen. This takes more time and doesn't allow the student to keep the copy they got back. Additionally, I think there are some subjects in which one actually can't learn unless there is interaction. Choir, for example, requires the teacher to fix the singers jaw sometimes or touch their body to make their stance different. This is obviously not possible on skype. Moreover, the concept of group projects would be kaput.

    I totally agree with you and I am perplexed by the issue of your second question. I have always been one concerned with "getting the material" or catching up, so I understand that I am the type to ask to skype into class. I do not know what I would do about those students who are not motivated to catch back up. I know! I wish there were more answers to our "motivation-problem." Maybe time will tell. Thanks for your questions, ideas, and comment, Rory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had also thought about this when reading someone else's blog. I can't remember who. Anyway, do you think that Skyping in to a class will be allowed anytime soon?

    We're still struggling with getting teachers on board using some of the other technologies. I'm sure that many administrators may not been to keen to using technology in this fashion either. Anyway, your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete