Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dependence or Independence?

          Technology. In my mind, this word seems to start small and keep growing and growing until it erupts with an explosion of sparkly megapixels in assorted colors, not so different from the fireworks detonating in the skies of our country tonight. I'm not quite sure if this is simply because I am a product of the 20th century, or because I have a love/hate relationship with anxiety-producing crime television but this idea evokes so many different emotions in me. My generation is basically Pavlov-ified to salivate when we hear, read, or imagine the word and its possibilities...technology. However, I don't need to watch one more episode of CSI to believe how real and unpredictable the dangers of high-tech gadgets can be.
          As a 10-year old, my obsession with technology seemed to be reaching an all-time high, though the use of it in my well-to-do private school remained surprisingly stagnant. I remember  asking  begging my father, day in and day out, to buy AOL so I could use the instant messaging features to talk to my friends. Surprisingly, my father didn't see the value in paying more for an internet service that provided less for the purpose of chatting online with people who I last saw an hour before. His inability to understand the requirements of my 5th grade social life annoyed me to no end. You can imagine how delighted I was when AIM, the instant messaging feature of AOL, launched a free version with the same capabilities. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. I could finally be accepted into a cyber-world that allowed me to exchange various acronyms with my super-hot crush without the blush on my face sliding off and leaking through my computer monitor....lol.  Fast-forward a few years, and I remember the days I spent hours searching www.homestarrunner.com until I found my "new-favorite" episode of Teen Girl Squad I had been impatiently waiting to show my best friend. Again, my excitement peaked when something was invented to do-away with all of my complaining, procrastinating, and "I swear it's there! I watched it yesterday"-ing -- a search engine to do all of that work and deliver results in 1/40000 of the time it took me before. A sing-songy chorus inside my head chants "BRILLIANT!" My ear-to-ear smile, served with a sigh of amazement by technology, lasted me the next nine years and remains on my face today.
          You would think that the adolescent attraction emanating from our pre-pubescent pores would have been equally radiant in our school and teachers. Maybe so, but it was rarely mirrored in our education. So rare it was, that I remember each occasion as the happiest of my day. Aside from the traditional (yet still exciting) learn-to-use-microsoft-word, type-to-learn, make-a-creation-on-KidPix, lessons, my favorite technological experience of childhood education was playing Zoombinis . For a kid that loves school and technology, what could be better than smurf-life, potato-head shaped creatures leading you down a virtual path of mathematical genius? Let me tell you, not much. As I grew older (sigh) technology became more prominent in my classrooms. The inside of my eyelids are branded with various powerpoint slides from lectures that elicited less than a pin-drop of excitement. Yes, I could rehash all of the boring and unsuccessful ways to bring technology into a classroom of hyper-active kids that are forced to sit quietly for block periods of an hour and a half. But I can also remember when my enthusiasm for technology in the classroom skyrocketed way past AIM or zoombini status.
           Why can't every one of my teachers let me Skype french students once a week? Why isn't creating a French Facebook timeline for a fictional-or-famous person a homework assignment each term? I loved these activities so much that I wanted technology integrated as much as possible in each class I had! Our "do-now" activity of designing our ideal classroom (in terms of technology) was one of the most enthralling I had partaken in this week. I added tablets at every chair, TV's on each wall so every student could see them, and dirty, written-on whiteboards that could scroll up to reveal shiny new ones underneath them. My technology was so advanced, some people might say having a teacher in that room would be unnecessary! ....Oh. Oh crap. A teacher? Unnecessary? My future career being usurped by the thing that I advocated for and promoted from the time I was old enough to complain? I couldn't believe the thought. Conversations with my mother, the court-reporter, realed back through my mind when she wondered if she would soon be replaced by a machine that was quicker and more accurate that she and her co-workers. How naïve I was to think that the only danger with technology was that which is showcased on crime television. In my first class of Teaching with Technology, the idea that technology is both fantastic and incredible, but unpredictable and dangerous were reinforced. Though my journey with technology is stable and long-term, my journey with teaching is fresh and new. I look forward to the ways in which I will learn to merge the two into an inter-dependent, inseparable force, not to be reckoned with.

8 comments:

  1. Fantastic post! The reference to Zoombinis...outstanding. To this day one of the saddest moments of my life is when my Zoombinis disc broke. I think the dichotomy that you have stumbled upon is one that has revealed itself to others as well. I believe the human element, the emotional intelligence of a teacher can never be replicated though. A computer could never shed tears over a broken Zoombini disc or sympathize with the heart-broken 8 year old holding the pieces of his game. That human element, that emotional awareness (which you seem to absolutely have), is paramount to teaching and is something that can't be simulated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally missed out on Zoombinis. Aside from time spent playing the original Oregon Trail in elementary school, the most memorable video game I remember playing was Bolo . My eighth grade science teacher had a row of antique Macs that he was slowly fixing up. On the occasional days when we got finished with our homework early, we could take the last five or ten minutes of class to play Bolo. Bolo didn't teach us about math or science; it taught us to keep our tanks away from mines. It was fun though. Even on the days when class science class got kind of boring, we got a chance to have fun and play with one another. We tended to leave class having enjoyed ourselves. That made us look forward to coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. I would like to think that the guy who provided the voice work for AOL (e.g. "You've Got Mail!" and "Goodbye!") never hears the end of it from his buddies.
    2. Your post reminds me of the fact that, as 20-somethings, we're in a weird and un-reproducible place in history. The internet didn't exist for most users when we were born, but it's starting to get into full swing now (or is it? I wonder what the 'net will look like in fifty years!) We're old enough to conceive of pre-internet life, and young enough to be fluent in the ways of the Worldwide Web. (I wonder how many of our students will know what the www. in URLs stands for...) What I'm curious about is this: How can we understand how our students perceive the internet? What is their concept of it? What is it for, to them? I have no idea how to answer this other than actually sitting down and talking to a kid, but I think that if we're to provide them with some perspective on what role the net should play in human life, it would help to know where they're coming from.
    3. "IT'S OVERRR" - Strongbad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I missed Zombinis, I remember Oregon Trail though. Great post Leah, I feel that you will be able to really utilize technology being in the world language discipline. You could really utilize skype and all the international resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Private school, too. Lack of technology in the classroom, for the most part. So, I can definitely empathize, Leah. However, if I wanted to play any games until maybe high school and college, which wasn't all that much, I had to go to an arcade or play Atari or Nintendo, which we didn't have until (well, it seemed that way) after everyone and his brother and sister had it. So, I used other technologies: running shoes, a bike, a basketball, Wiffle Ball (you can throw some really whacky pitches with them), walking along the top of a jungle gym as if it were a tightrope, a book, coloring pencils and paper ... I guess that you might be able to sense a theme here. My brothers and I even found a Revolutionary cannonball, musket ball, axehead, and some shells farther inland, all in our backyard and front yard. Those were technologies that we knew about, though obviously didn't use on each other or anyone else, much to our parents' delight.

    This reflection, which your post has inspired, also brings back memories of my father--who is still a science teacher yet loves history--bringing us to nearby Historic Richmond Town (www.historicrichmondtown.org), with its Revolutionary era reenactments and recreations of Colonial society, or driving us over the Verrazano(-Narrows) Bridge to see the Brownstones in Brooklyn. (It's been a while since I thought about some of this, including Richmond Town. Thanks, Leah!) And, now that I think about it some more, my interest in history is probably born more from my father modeling an interest in it than anything my Social Studies teachers ever did throughout my journey through elementary and secondary schooling.

    Although, interestingly, one of the reasons why I wanted to be a teacher was, in part, because of a vivid memory I still have of my freshman-year high school Western Civilization class: Proud of my work, I traveled up to this man who was arthritic, nearly-blind, and stolid. As he gave a cursory glance (literally, perhaps, two seconds) at my homework, he strained his eyes through thick glasses, accentuated his hunched back and neck as he craned over in his seat, cogitating (for how long? did he even put much effort into reading my work?) with the brain that resided under his grayed hair, and coughing phlegm into a handkerchief, before he scribbled "C" on my paper before I retreated--defeated--to my seat. Part of me pitied him (for I knew that he was ill), but I wondered how much compassion and dedication he had, methodically recounting names and dates. Could he possibly know what it was like to sit in my shoes, to stand there, to see "C," to become disengaged, glancing at the pine trees out the window behind me, from time to time? Thus, positive and negative experiences have led me here, in kinship with you, on our journey forward together as educators.

    I wonder, What might have been different had my Western Civ teacher had and used technologies other than the chalkboard on which he wrote, on occasion, behind him? What might have been different had he shown greater interest in me? How might have your experiences and trajectory been different had the technology(ies) of which we speak/write not been "surprisingly stagnant" in school?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of technology and its use, I came from a different place. I entered school prior to the technology age. I think at the time punch cards were still being used and there were heated discussions both pro and con about the first Mac computer. Over the next few years it was amazing how fast technology use grew outside of most school systems. Today most school systems have some form of technology. Unfortunatly, the use is limited mostly by access, the school districts budget and teachers interest and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed your July 4th metaphor. :D I want to resonate with you on homestarrunner.com Ohhh the times I've spent on there. I don't know if you've ever played Neopets, but that was my thing as a kid. I spent countless hours on that site making my self a billionaire! Only to get banned for no reason. Grrr the anger and bitterness still holds with me today. I was on dial-up and it made my online experience very hard. I can remember the joy I had when we switched to high speed internet. Anyway, the latest and greatest technology does hold so much in store for us.
    For your french class, I think skyping is an amazing idea! It would be the new pen pals of the 21st century. You could even do it with french kids! You get to learn and interact with cute foreign french humans.
    I'm glad to be starting this journey alongside you leah! See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Ms. Stilman, this is you in blog form. Love it. I also love your ideas for incorporating technology in different ways, specific to a language classroom. How much cooler would international pen pals be if you could Skype them? Your "I know it's there, I watched it yesterday" comment got me thinking about another downside to technology. How many times have students, since the boom of emailing assignments, has a student come in to class a few days later saying "Didn't you get my essay? I emailed it last night." Sometimes maybe the file does get lost somewhere in the interwebs, sometimes maybe this is just a sneaky way to get an extension. Just one of those "hmmmm" moments for me...

    ReplyDelete